This locomotive is suitable for the Märklin 3-rail alternating current system AND direct current 2-rail / direct current systems! AC OR DC/DCC!
Model Chassis, frame, water tanks and smoke box are made of metal
Separate detail parts made of brass or plastic
Universal electronics for use on both DC and AC tracks: Locomotive can be used on three- and two-rail tracks by removing the AC pickup show and changing a rocker switch
Coreless motor with flywheel
Two anti-skid tires
Controlled by ESU LokSound 5 decoder for DCC, Motorola®, M4 and Selectrix® operations
Automatic RailComPlus® detection with suitable central units.
Automatic registration with Märklin® central units with mfx®
“PowerPack” storage capacitor for uninterrupted power supply
Load-dependent, fan-based and axis-controlled smoke unit with dual output and temperature control. Smoke discharge through the chimney and also through the cylinders (individually controlled)
Direction indicators white/red, cab interior lighting, appropriate lighting in shunting mode, illuminated firebox with warm white LEDs
Double sugarcube loudspeakers with large sound box for the best possible sound
Automatically controlled couplers in standardized axle according to NEM 362
Working track lighting
Metal wheels and molded side rods
Minimum radius 360 mm
Length over buffers 170.1 mm
The T18 developed by the Stettiner Lokfabrik Vulcan goes back to the request of several Prussian railroad managements for a tender locomotive capable of at least 90 km/h forwards and backwards. The T18 built between 1912 and 1927 in 462 copies by various manufacturers is considered the most successful tender locomotive for passenger trains of the provincial railroads and was used by the Deutsche Reichsbahn DR until 1972 and even by the Deutsche Bundesbahn DB until 1974.It was possible to have equally good driving characteristics in both directions, and the tank, which was basically derived from the G8, had already proven its suitability at the start of production of the T18. With an output of 1140 hp and a top speed of 90 km/h, increased to 100 km/h from the eleventh machine delivered, the locomotives were also used to pull light express trains. Shortly after World War II, the Deutsche Bundesbahn (German Federal Railroad) resumed trials with push trains (push-pull trains) to reduce the running times of local trains. For this purpose, some of the 424 locomotives remaining with the DB were equipped with an indirect balance train control system from the company Hagenuk. When the train was pushed, the driver sat in the control car and transmitted the driving commands via the command device to the stoker on the locomotive, who operated the traffic controller. Once the driver began to brake, the controller was automatically closed by compressed air from the steering car. Later the push-pull train control was removed from most 78.0-5s and the locomotives were used again for light passenger and freight train services. DB merged its Prussians into Baden-Württemberg in the early 1970s. After World War II, the Deutsche Reichsbahn of the GDR had 53 locomotives of the class 78. To improve driver visibility, some machines from the depot in Stralsund were equipped with small wind deflectors.